On 3rd, between B & C. This address gets the award for the best backyard. A huge space shared by the entire building but from what my hosts described to me, only really used by them. There are flowers, patio furniture, and three or four grills. You could daily have 100 people in the back yard. It was my office for a couple of days.
My hosts for the week were my good friend from Tufts, Jesse and his two roommates Simon and Chris. We didn’t get to see a whole lot of each other, but it seems like a fun spot to live both for the location and the people living there.
Along the East River. Jesse even had me doing sprints which is just a bad idea all around. We also worked out at the Outdoor gym along the East River which I think is one of my favorite places to work out in NY.
- Cafe Gaia – my new favorite work spot. $5 paninis, Illy coffee, and Gaia works behind the counter making fresh pasta.Snack Dragon – the best $3 taco you’ll find.
- Lavagana – Jesse’s parents took he and I out for a meal here. Highlights included the mushroom pizza, and we shared the snapper for two.
- Royale – It’s a solid burger although its not in the same category as JG Melon or Shake Shack in my opinion.
- Ramen Kuboya – finally actually used a Groupon that didn’t expire. The spicy miso was delicious.
- Lula’s Sweet Apothecary – vegan, cashew based desserts. I had the brownie with peanut butter ice cream. It was great, but minus points for coconut flavored whipped cream.
FML stories at the Nuyorican poets cafe. I’m not sure it was an authentic Nuyorican experience, so I might have to go back. My friend who told her story and came in second place. She definitely deserved first.
- NYC Opens First Section Of East River Waterfront Esplanade (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Swimmers brave East River (nydailynews.com)
- First Segment of Downtown East River Esplanade Opens, Already Packed (streetsblog.org)
- Weekend Inspiration | New York City In a New Light: Olya Turcihin. (thecreativediarist.com)